Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Coming Back to Life


Today (April 30), I made my second visit to Hudson Park in New Rochelle. I just took one dozen bloodworms and intended to stay for about two hours. When I planned my trip, I not only took note of high tide but also made use of In-Fisherman's online solunar calendar. It reported a "Major Moon Period"--when the moon would be overhead or underfoot--between 3:26 PM and 5:26 PM. Many fishermen have long believed that various phases of the moon affect the feeding patterns of fish.

By 3:15 PM, I had two lines in the water. After the traumatic and once-in-a-lifetime incident I experienced last week, which resulted in my oldest and favorite fishing rod go missing, I was a little overly cautious. I was on the lookout for birds and was extra careful to make sure my poles wouldn't fall into the water below. The sun was shining brightly, and there was a slight wind. It felt much colder than the reported 65 degrees.

I had no action in the first hour. I eventually got one hit, but I didn't hook anything. Whatever it was, it just nibbled at the bait. The bite gave me hope that I might catch something here for the first time in years. As I waited, I passed the time listening to my iPod and smoking my pipe. I went through my "Country" playlist. Marty Robbins' classic cover of the old Western ballad, "The Streets of Laredo," is a personal favorite. I listen to the song quite frequently, perhaps because I tend to identify with the dying, repentant cowboy in the song who comes to the harsh realization that he alone is responsible for his own tragic plight and sad exit. No doubt, "The Streets of Laredo," is a sad song, but it also conveys hope through personal redemption and the cowboy's struggle to maintain his dignity in his final minutes by seeking companionship with a passerby, some cool water to quench his thirst, and a request for a solemn funeral after he "goes to his Maker."

In the second hour, I reeled in one line to check the bait. I immediately noticed that the line was heavy. Since I was able to reel it in--without a fight--I obviously didn't get it caught on an underwater rock. Did I catch some garbage? When I pulled up the line, I saw that I caught a flounder--my very first. I was thrilled. It measured about 14 inches. A fellow fisherman nearby me congratulated me. Since it was really sunny, I wasn't able to get a clear picture. I cut it loose and returned it to the water.

I gave up around 5:30. We'll see what the month of May brings.